Friday, October 22, 2010

Blog #5 New Design

I chose mp3 player for the product of the assignment. It is just a regular mp3 player with basic features like playing music and videos. I am not sure about the dimensions of it, but it is fairly tiny. The users are me and some of the pedestrians on the street I have noticed.
I use the mp3 player in different places. When I am lying on the bed trying hard to sleep, I will use the player to play some gentle music to help me better get into sleep. When I am doing the homework, I will also play the music. Sometimes I will listen to music using it when I go out. It seems normal to function the mp3 player like that. The trouble is though, that I have some pants without pockets. Generally people will put the player in the pockets of the pants, and connect the earphone to the player. Sometimes I will need to wear those pants, or when I am working out, I need to put on the shorts. Where should I put on the mp3 player then? Some people might say that apple has designed special sports kit for ipod, which can be used to bind the ipod with the arm, so that it will stay with the arm. This is very convenient. The problem is that to my knowledge, there are no such things for other mp3 players, because ipod has big market, but other players do not have their corresponding sports kit. So when I am walking on the street in these pants, I have to carry the player in my palm. If you have tried that, you will find it is really not comfortable. I have also noticed that some people did that on the street. It was funny when I saw a man carrying a basket and his mp3 player in different hands.
So I have mentioned that experience. How to fix that though? Somebody might say: “Why not design a kit like what apple did with ipod. But since different players have different dimensions, it will not work. I am thinking to integrate the mp3 players with the T-shirt. I have not thought about the details of the incorporation, because it may involve complicated knowledge. But the basic idea is to design a music T-shirt without the actual mp3 players. You could connect the earphone with the T-shirt but not the mp3 player. In that way, even without the pocket, you can keep your hands open.

3 comments:

  1. Something that you might want to remember is that if the user wears like a coat or something over the shirt, then the pocket for the mp3 player would be useless. Maybe try and find a different location to place the pocket. Or maybe think of a design for a armband that works for all mp3 players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I understood your idea correctly, you want to have a T-shirt that can connect with any mp3 player and then connect it to earphones making it easier to listen to music hands free.
    I have two problems with what you suggest, firstly I think it is rare someone will wear pants without pockets because, by definition that makes the pants ineffective clothes relative to what is expected from clothing today. Secondly, having a holder for your mp3 that is compatible with many different types of mp3 players and that clips or slides on to something sounds like a more viable plan than the vague idea you ve given here.

    Akbar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea is really cool. However, designing a music T-shirt is very difficult. You could not find a suitable way to install the chips and interface to upload the music. Besides, chips and interface are involved with electricity. It may be dangerous to human beings if they don't work well. It will also cause trouble when you wash your T-shirt because your T-shirt has circuit.

    ReplyDelete