Now it’s the time to write something about the initiative I have taken.
My Residential Advisor is a Canadian whose origin is Vietnam . In his words, he’s a “Canasian” (Canadian Asian). From before, what I know about him is just a smidge, for example, his major and the fact that he’s a senior. To start with, we have different backgrounds and we are from different cultures. I could hardly find something to talk with him, but this time I decide to take a shot. One day evening, I have done my assignment and had nothing to do. I suddenly recalled that I need to network with him, so I knocked his door. He opened the door and let me in. Here’s our conversation.
He said to me: “Hey what’s up Bo?”
My opening was short to my memory: “Hey Tien (his name). Do you have a sec? I wanna talk to you.”
Glancing at his files, he swiftly responded: “Sure. No problem.”
I had the feeling that he misunderstood what I really meant. I guess he thought it was something quick.
Then I added: “I want to chat with you, so it could be a long conversation. If you are busy right now, I can come back later.”
He smiled: “No, that’s fine. Apparently I need some rest.”
I replied: “Yeah I can see that.” I pointed to the pile of assignments: “Heavy workload, huh? Civil is a tough major.”
“Of course. Really tough, but environmental engineering is a little better I guess.” He stretched the arms a bit.
Then I got to know that his concentration is hydrology, a research area that deals with water. He just switched to this major in his junior year. Before that he was studying Spanish.
“So what will you do in the future, Tien? I mean which career path will you be taking?” I said this with a little selfish mind, because this could be my major after all.
His response kind of shocked me: “I am gonna be a professor some day. Do some research. How about you?”
“Me?” I sighed, “That’s my biggest concern. I want to be a consultant, but I know it is hard to get into those companies. I definitely would not like to be a professor though.”
My words raised his curiosity. He asked me: “Why?”
I explained: “My parents are both professors in college. You know in China , being a professor is not that good. Sometimes it is involved with politics. I am sick of that.”
“Oh, really.” He frowned.
“Anyway, have you taken GE 101? That graphics design course?” I asked.
“Sure I did. I took that in my junior year. That course is quite easy. You know I am very intuitive.” He proudly pointed at himself.
Originally I was unfamiliar with that word, but later he explained to me that he scored 30 out of 30 in the visualization assessment, in which I scored 18. The national average, however, is 21. A full score means that you are really good at simulating 3D structures in your head without actually seeing it.
“So how did you develop that?” I inquired.
“Not much. It was one of my gifts I imagine.”
I nodded, but I didn’t feel sorry for my lack of this ability. I cannot rely on all the gifts.
“Did you buy it?” I noticed the paintings hanged on the wall. Well not a painting, but more of a Chinese calligraphy. Five characters are written on the paper: gold, wood, water, fire, earth. These are five elements consist of nature. I suddenly felt weird. They were in the wrong order, and the spelling of one character is incorrect. There are two strokes missing. It was全,but it is supposed to be金.
I told him about this. He was really surprised, saying: “Oh my god. I got it in Chicago . I must have been fooled!”
I chortled: “Next time you should bring a Chinese guy to help you spot this, for example me.”
He laughed: “Yeah I will do that.” Then he walked into a small room to fetch two Chinese wash paintings depicting nature.
I looked at them and remarked: “These seem real. You like Chinese culture.”
He replied: “Yeah. But I didn’t know much about it. It was a pity.”
“Well,” I patted his shoulder, “I can do that for you, but in exchange you need to tell me about Canadian and American culture.
“2 for 1? I felt like being ripped off.” He joked.
“Dude,” I pretended to be serious. “Chinese history is long enough I believe.”
“Fair enough.” He shrugged his shoulder.
“Fine. Deal!” We high fived.
This network brought me an opportunity to know people of other backgrounds. To my surprise there is someone knowing nothing about Chinese culture but becoming crazy about it. I recalled that there is one American guy Mike who has studied 4 years of Chinese, and has a Chinese name with special meaning. It was no longer a secret that more foreigners come to China to study, work and live. At that time I didn’t understand why. Now by networking, I know those people who do share common hobbies and who do appreciate my country’s culture.
1.Why you will notice and talk about the calligraphy rather than other pictures or paintings?
ReplyDeleteI guess the main reason that we are Chinese and surely has special feeling with chinese character outside. I would like to experience the proud of correcting the wrong Chinese as well.
2.I cannot understand why you do not want to be professors like your parents?
Your parents must have influence on you while you are growing up in this environment. Is it correct that you naver stop pursue your own dream?
3.As you mentioned, why you ask Tien about GE101 which is irrevelant to your previous conversation?
I wonder that is this question revelant to your future plan?
That's really cool. Since you're RA is in engineering also, this network connection looks like a two in one.
ReplyDelete1. What made you choose to talk to RA? Do you know the other people in your floor already?
2. Do you intend to take steps on networking towards your intended career path (consulting) ?
3. I am just curious but how do professors get involved in politics? Are you talking about workplace politics or national politics?
Good job taking initiative! It sounds like you started a very good connection.
ReplyDeleteWhat did you plan on discussing when you knocked on his door? Did the way the conversation went surprise you?
How do you think Tien felt when you told him you would not consider his career choice? How would you have responded in his shoes?
Why do you assume individuals do not appreciate Chinese culture? I would love to learn more about the culture and hopefully study abroad in China. :)
I should show you my Chinese calligraphy to check if it is correct.